Keith Baker, PhD
D. Allan Bromley Professor of Physics
+1 (203) 432-3374
Research Areas: Particle Physics
Research Type: Experimentalist
Professor Baker’s research is in experimental particle physics: The energy frontier at the Large Hadron Collider in the ATLAS collaboration and precision studies at sub-eV energies. Current topics include quantum information science in HEP, electroweak symmetry breaking, and beyond the standard model physics searches.
- Experimental particle physics research in the ATLAS collaboration at the LHC.
- Built the detectors and carried out ML analysis in the Higgs boson discovery.
- Originated ATLAS analysis search for Dark Sector (BSM) phenomena in exotic decays of the Higgs boson to four leptons.
- Co-pioneered LHC research Quantum Information Science (quantum entanglement, entanglement entropy) in proton-proton collisions.
- Ph.D. Stanford University, 1987
- Stanford University: M.S. Physics; 1983 :: M.S. Mathematics; 1983
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology: B.S. Physics; 1981
- LANL, Postdoctoral Researcher, 1986-1988
- TUNL, Postdoctoral Researcher, 1989
- Jefferson Laboratory and Hampton University, Faculty and Staff, 1989-2006
- Yale University: Professor of Physics; 2006-present
Honors & Awards:
Edward Bouchet Award - American Physical Society; Elmer Imes Award for Outstanding Research - Nat. Soc, of Black Phys; US ATLAS Distinguished Researcher - United States ATLAS; Distinguished Speaker at five universities (HBCUs) and Organizations; Arkansas Black Hall of Fame Inductee
- O.K. Baker and D.E. Kharzeev, “Thermal radiation and entanglement in proton-proton collisions at the LHC: arXiv:1712.04588 [hep-ph] (2017); published in Phys. Rev. D (2018).
- G. Aad,…„ O.K. Baker, … The ATLAS Collaboration, “Measurement of inclusive and differential cross sections in the H→ZZ*→4l decay channel in pp collisions at √s = 13 TeV with the ATLAS detector”, JHEP 2017, 132 (2017) (Baker group major contribution; useful for entanglement entropy and thermal radiation studies).
- G. Aad,…,O.K.Baker,… The ATLAS Collaboration,”Measurement of the Higgs boson coupling properties in the H→ZZ*→4l decay channel at √s = 13 TeV with the ATLAS detector” JHEP 03, 095 (2018) (Baker group major contribution; useful for entanglement entropy and thermal radiation studies).
- G. Aad,…„ O.K. Baker, … The ATLAS Collaboration, Search for new light gauge bosons in Higgs boson decays to four-lepton final states in pp collisions at 8 TeV with the ATLAS detector, Phys. Rev. D 92, 092001 (2015) (Baker group co-led this Dark Sector search study)
ATLAS, Axions, Hidden Sector Photons, Yale Microwave Cavity Experiment (YMCE)