Yale Physics, including Wright Lab, is now part of the American Physical Society Inclusion, Diversity, and Equity Alliance (APS-IDEA), which is a new initiative with a mission of empowering and supporting physics departments, laboratories, and other organizations to identify and enact strategies for improving equity, diversity, and inclusion (EDI). It will do so by establishing a community of transformation.
The vision of APS-IDEA is that, as a result of collective efforts, physics and related fields will become more inclusive of all social identities, with a diversity reflective of the nation, and with an equitable distribution of opportunities and resources.
The network will provide a supportive environment to:
- exchange ideas, information, and experiences
- deepen knowledge of research and effective practices
- develop or improve EDI strategic plans
- discuss various EDI initiatives and reports from physics and related disciplines
- learn about theories of change
- begin planning IDEA’s programs
This is achieved through guiding principles of:
- centering people whose identities are marginalized
- utilizing sensemaking, including creating brave spaces
- implementing research-based transformational methods
- sharing leadership across levels; from students up to faculty
For more information on APS-IDEA, please see their website.